Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Climbing at Brooklyn Boulders

I was introduced to climbing back in the spring of 2007. It was something I always wanted to try and looked like a lot of fun. I climbed at Hanger 18 in Upland CA from the spring through the summer. I was climbing at least three days a week and training in between. I was getting really comfortable with being on the wall and learning the strategies to conserve energy on the way up. 



I was at the point where I was ready to start climbing outside. There was a crew of peeps that hit Joshua Tree that I was going to hook up with. Then I met my wife and moved to New York City. At the time there was not a climbing gym that was easy for me to get to and there was no way that I was going to Chelsea Piers. Then Brooklyn Boulders opened their doors and hope was restored. 




For various reasons it took me up until a few weeks ago to check it out. My brother Robert and I have been looking for an activity that we can to together and stay fit. Many years ago we used to work out at the local Worlds Gym. We were on a strict diet and routine and got really fit. We both care about fitness but have found times in our lives where it was hard to maintain. One day we just decided there is no time like the present so we went for it. It was a humbling experience to put it lightly. I had the memory of knowing how to climb and the feelings that come with that but lacked the strength.



On day one it was all we could go to boulder a V-0. We even tried a V-0-. We were in the overhang room so the problems are a little harder. It was tough and we were sore the next day but couldn't wait to get back and solve harder problems. Day two was a little better. We sailed through V-0s and started on V-1s and working on technique.


By day three it was game on and we were full on hitting all of the V-0s and V-1s we could. I even took down a V-1+ which was a small but needed confidence booster. We spent a lot of time working problems to find the most efficient way to get to the top the down climb in order  back to the beginning. 




Last night I made a solo trip and hit it pretty hard after a nice warm up. I started with a V-1+ then soon after took down a V-2. My confidence, strength and skill is slowly returning. I hope be able to take down some V-3s and V-4s in the near future. At some point after the new year Robert and I are going to start top roping. Good times ahead for sure.

These images are from day three and four.

No comments:

Post a Comment